A patched together lifestyle of thrift and charm...

Nov 17, 2016

Thrifty Thursday - Free Holiday Decor...

Most seasons or holidays have a staple decorating item that 
can be obtained for free from the great outdoors. 

For Christmas?  Greens or pine cones will serve you well.  
(And if you know someone with a holly bush - yay you!) 
Today - I was in search of said greens for an upcoming 
Christmas show that I'm doing.   So I headed to a nearby wooded
 community where there are  plenty of pine trees...

I walked around till I spotted trees such as these and then canvased
 the ground nearby.  But believe it or not - this spot yielded nothing.

We've not had rain or storms (to bring down twigs)  -so was beginning 
to think my efforts would be a bust when suddenly I spied this!
I'll take it...

Walked around some more - sometimes having to look up very high
 to see where the pine trees were.  Still my efforts returned precious little...

So back home I resorted to snipping from my sorry bushes...

And added the snippings to my other gatherings...

...which included a few hydrangeas and some dried weeds.


So while my 'greens' gleanings were slim this go round - 
I think it will be enough to decorate a few tables of wares.  
And I have some faux branches that I can use as well.

And in case you're still in need of ideas for Thanksgiving - 
leaves are free!  Check out this gals lovely post for a simple idea!


Happy gathering!  ~Joyce

2 comments:

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Foraging for greens is fun and thrifty! I am looking forward to a drive to the country to look for some wld holly to use in my Christmas decorating.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...