A patched together lifestyle of thrift and charm...

Jul 28, 2016

Budget Chair Cushion DIY with Easy Removeable Cover (No Zipper!)...

Someone gave me a white wicker chair (love!) - with no cushion.
Wicker cushions are not cheap.  And this one needed to be fairly large.   
But if you scout out thrift stores long enough - you can usually 
find what you need.  I think I looked just a couple of weeks.   

 Today - I covered it - in under an hour - for our updated family room.  
My fabric?  Why my thrifted shower curtain of course (right from my bathroom!)  
But it was just the right soft green and I had another 
shower curtain in my stash that could replace it - so no worries.
This other blogger's tutorial may be easier to follow - but here's what I did.  
(After I washed that shower curtain.)

1.  Measure that pillow - then add approx. 1 - 1 1/4" on each side.  
This will allow for the puffiness of the pillow if you make your seam allowance about 1/2".  
Cut one long strip the width you need (about 25" in my case) to
 wrap around that pillow to cover both sides plus 6-7" extra to overlap.  
This will allow an 'envelope style' so you can slip your pillow 
inside with no zipper or closure needed.

2.  Fold under a small seam on the short ends and stitch them 
(like a hem) so there are no loose or unstitched edges.
  
3.  Fold your fabric just how the finished case will be (right sides together) - 
making that overlap.  Carefully line everything up and pin the edges 
making sure you have it the same width all across. (It's all about the measuring!)

4.  Simply stitch the 2 sides closed.  
I rounded my corners a bit so the pillow won't have pointy corners. 

5.  Flip right side out and stuff that pillow inside. 
 (My pillow was large and pretty stiff - but I got it in there.)

Happiness is a 'new' chair that cost almost nothing. 
Have I convinced you to shop at thrift shops yet?  ~Joyce 


Linking to the Home Sweet Home party




2 comments:

Betsy said...

Perfect! What a great find and a wonderful wa to cover the cushion.
Blessings,
Betsy

The Charm of Home said...

How smart and it looks great! Thank you for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...