A patched together lifestyle of thrift and charm...

Jul 27, 2017

No Shampoo? A Thrifty Thursday Post...

My hair has its challenges.  Most recently... I'm just trying to keep it!   
I've been thinking that the parabens in regular shampoos are not 
doing me any favors.  And hypoallergenic or natural shampoo is
 pricier than I'd like.  So I've searched for recipes to make my own
 and have come across the 'no shampoo' method of washing hair.


Essentially it's just baking soda & water for the 'shampoo' 
and apple cider vinegar and water to rinse.  Here's what you do...

Measure 2 T baking soda into a pint jar and fill with water.  Shake.


Pour it over your wet head and 'shampoo' like normal.  Rinse out.  

Put 2 T apple cider vinegar into same jar and fill with water.  
Pour over head as a 'conditioner' and then rinse out again.

That's it!  
(2 T : 2 C water for long hair - or 1 T :1 C water for short hair)

My hair was easy to comb out and is quite silky today (my first day using this). 
I'll try to keep you posted on how it like it over time.


I figure it can't hurt.  And it sure is affordable! 
And I'll be really excited if my hair loss lessens. 
And in case you're wondering - I do not smell like vinegar! :)

Here's to accepting the changes that the years bring...
and growing with them.  ~Joyce





2 comments:

Betsy said...

I have heard of this method before but never knew anyone trying it. I'll be curious to see how you like it over the long-term. Please keep us updated! Have a lovely day my friend.
Blessings, Betsy

D said...

J, I too have used the baking soda/vinegar combo. Good, but may I recommend another alternative? Been using 'As I Am, coconut co-wash' for about 3 months. Got it at Drug Mart, but other places have it, check online if they do... Amazon is higher, but that said. there is no soap, and leaves a lovely shiny hair,,,very clean. I use it once a week, that's all. I thought it would be too radical, but goodness, its awesome... My hair is much wavier since I used it, and growing nicely. I use a glob, and the jar will probably last me 3 or 4 more months. Just thinking you may like it!...D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...