A patched together lifestyle of thrift and charm...

Oct 6, 2016

Shopping in Kalona, IA...

On our recent road trip vacation - I spent some time roaming around 
Kalona, IA with my cousin.  What a treat!   It's a very midwestern
 looking town.  Everybody knows everybody and is nice to each other 
and oh my - I was ready to move in!


Our first stop was a Fall Festival.  Not sure why I didn't take more pictures... 
but I thought this vendor's signage with just perfect...

Then we hit the Pink Begonia which was a little downtown antique co-op.  
Just love the name and the owner was so sweet.  She had homemade 
cookies at the check out and the antique cash register is the real deal.  
It's what she uses to ring up a sale!

Photo from Pink Begonia facebook page


Next up was The Shop which had sort of a modern farmhouse feel.  
They had great displays everywhere - including their sidewalk decor
But the best part?  
The Shop was having a yard sale - about a mile from the store.  
We boogied right over there and oh my... it was my highlight of our trip.
Take a peek at some of my stash...

I couldn't resist this party banner in black and ecru.  
Shop price - $18.  Yard sale price - $1!

They had lots of fabrics and linens and the prices were crazy good.  But I restrained myself and picked up just a few of the extra special pretties.
They left a tag on the child's slip which of course made it feel like 
a steal at - you guessed it - $1!

This dish caught my eye too so for $2 - in my pile it went...

And ticking... when I find the truly old stuff - I get it.  
Etsy buyers are liking it!

Dear Kalona - I'd be happy to return.  
You left a place in my heart for sure.
Why don't you hop on over to the Pink Begonia and The Shop 
via facebook and send 'em some love!  (links above)

And go take a road trip.  They're wonderfully refreshing!  ~Joyce

(Visit my Quilted Nest facebook page for a few extra trip pics.)

4 comments:

Pink Begonia said...

Thanks Joyce! So glad you had a great time & hope you make it back again soon! Lynelle from Pink Begonia

Pink Begonia said...

Thanks Joyce! So glad you had a great time & hope you make it back again soon! Lynelle from Pink Begonia

Betsy said...

What a fun trip. I've been to Kalona when we lived in Nebraska. It's a nice little town. You found some nice things. Blogger won't let me post for some reason but I'll keep commenting as long as it lets me. :-)
Blessings,
Betsy

Cheryl said...

Oh, how fun! LOVED your neat bargain purchases!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...