A patched together lifestyle of thrift and charm...

May 23, 2013

From Country Curtains to Country Skirt...

I'm all about thrifty ways to do and get stuff!  Lately I've been 
frustrated with my tired wardrobe - so I decided I would try 
to actually make something (it's been years!) 
  I had a simple skirt in my closet (the plum piece on the left below) 
I used as a pattern.  But first - I needed some fabric.  
These were my 'on hand' viable options.  I loved that brown daisy 
dotted swiss - but decided against it in case I messed up. 
 The red teeny check fabric is actually vintage curtain panels - 
so I had some ripping to do to get enough fabric.
Isn't it adorable?

Essentially - I just laid the skirt onto the fabric and cut it a 
little larger on each side.  Just 2 side seams folks! 
I did this times 2 - because I added a lining.  
(Out of old solid cream curtains I found for almost nothing!)
I wanted to mimic the drawstring waist of the original skirt.  To form the ties - 
I just eyeballed it and folded the fabric onto itself to cut a straight line...
It worked!...
 My original skirt was long with a plain hem.  
I chose a slightly shorter version and added a ruffle.  
 The great thing about sewing?  You choose your own length - love that!

This would be me - slightly graying hair and all.   
I love how green it is outside right now - we've had lots of 
gentle spring rains.  I'm gonna love this skirt.
And who knows?  I might do me some more sewing!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...