A patched together lifestyle of thrift and charm...

Mar 5, 2016

Saturday Sightings - Abandoned Building Surprise...

If you checked out yesterday's post - you'll remember I visited a
local store's indoor yard sale.  
It was behind the brick building you can just barely see in the photo below...

That brick building was once a shoe factory and still retains 
its original sign on the front.  
Photo by Jeff Ruppenthal

Currently it is in a state of disrepair. 
Check out the view from the back...

 I had to wonder why someone isn't restoring this gem.  
(Easy enough for me to say huh?)   
It's right along Main Street and not exactly the town's finest spot.

For fun, I did a little online research and learned - to my surprise - 
that there has been a developer working on acquiring this property for years.  
And they hope to begin renovations this spring!  How 'bout that?
Check out their proposed office and apartment building...
Source
I'm beyond excited!  I love it when old spaces get 'recycled'!  
I also find it interesting that according to the online news article
the current owner stores 'aircraft parts' in the building.  
Really?  Seems a bit risky.  Hope they don't need climate control
and not sure I want to be flying on any of those planes...

 But here's the cute part... Way down at the bottom of the building
 someone expressed the apparent sentiment of this old edifice...
I had to smile!  Change is often painful - 
but somehow I think this old gal in brick will fare just fine.

 Oooh - I hope it happens.  Come on Spring!  ~Joyce



2 comments:

Betsy said...

I love when old buildings are restored too. My husband used to travel overseas quite a lot and he always said that the general opinion of Americans is that we're wasteful. We will tear down a perfectly good building to put in a fast food restaurant where they will just integrate it into an existing building with no thoughts of tearing anything down. I tend to agree with them. Anyway, I'm glad to see your building will have a new life.
Blessings,
Betsy

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Joyce, How I do hope a good restoration is in the future for this gem! Thanks for sharing it with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...