As I was preparing a bit of food today - I thought about
all the little things I do that fall into the 'frugal' category.
So let me share some of my 'tips' that were part of
today's routine as I was making Rice Lasagna...
1. Shop discount grocery stores - if you're not shopping at these - you're missing out! We have several in our area - some chains and some privately owned. (Do a web search!) My most recent great bargain find was 8 oz. shredded colby jack cheese - 2/$1! It was the day the truck came (try to find out when that is!) - so they were moving out the old inventory to make way for the new.
2. Make frugal recipes. Regular lasagna is wonderful - but we eat gluten free. Gluten free pasta is expensive. Rice is not! And rice lasagna is delicious.
3. Use less hamburger (meat) - I almost always use less than the amount of meat called for. My habit is to buy hamburger in bulk amounts. Once at home - I package it into 3/4 lb. portions - placing each portion into a sandwich bags. I place those bags into a larger ziplock bag and put it in the freezer.
4. Shred your own cheese - I buy whole 1 lb. blocks and shred it with my Kitchen Aid shredder attachment. I measure 1 c. per bag and freeze it the same way I do the hamburger. Again - you can often use less than a recipe calls for.
5. Use a warm surface for thawing. To thaw my frozen mozzarella cheese - I simply sat it in the microwave which was still warm from making my rice.
6. Reuse containers - (see the Temp Tee cream cheese container above.)
7. Buy larger cans of food when on special. When it's time to open them - freeze what you don't use into smaller portions. (that would be my refried beans in the Temp Tee container above.)
8. Bake several things in the oven at 1 time. Today I baked some refried bean dip (for weekend snacking) at the same time my lasagna was baking.
|yes, my oven needs cleaned!|
10. Make your own hot pads. When my daughter was little - she had a pot holder maker (the kind with the loops) and made a bunch of them. I still use them!
There ya go - 10 thrifty ideas!