A patched together lifestyle of thrift and charm...

Apr 8, 2011

Homemade...

I have a recipe for you - but it's not the eating kind!  
I made my first batch of homemade laundry detergent.  It is so cheap - I just have to share it with you.  Several of my friends have tried this and love it - so I'm sure it will be a good thing.  
Here's what I started with... (Yep, it's all on your grocery shelf!)
1/3 bar Fels Naptha Soap - grated
3 pt. water
Mix and heat on low till dissolved...
Love the smell of this soap!
Add 1/2 c. Washing Soda and
1/2 c. Borax.  
Put 1 qt. warm water in 2 gal. or more bucket.  Add soap solution.  Add enough water to make 2 gallon.  Set aside 24 hours till thick.  Use 1/2 c. per load.
Isn't it beautiful?  It is very thick.  Here is a website with more recipes and tips for making your own detergent.  
I'll let you know when I try it.
For more Frugal Ideals - visit The Shabby Nest today and
Funky Junk Interiors.

1 comment:

michelle said...

This is great! I used to make this and it worked wonderfully. I used mine dry and had to stop due to my front loader would get blocked a bit but I might have to try it in this form. Thank you Joyce, I hope you are doing well! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...