A patched together lifestyle of thrift and charm...

Apr 15, 2013

Coffee Can Herb Project...

It's not often that we have empty coffee cans in our home.  
So when I found myself with one last week - I figured it was 'project time'.
My first order of business was to plant my herbs.
  Funny - I went out and bought chives and parsley (I was in an extreme hurry.)
  When I got home - I realized what I actually bought was chives and cilantro.
 Guess I'll be cooking Italian (or is that Mexican?) Recipes welcomed!
Next I painted and distressed the can.  Translation - I sanded it in 
places and then added a little glaze to tone down the creamy white...
I was inspired by Heather's recent project at Post Road Vintage (she's the best!)...
 but alas - I had no good looking seed packet to use.
  So - I went rooting thru my paper ephemera (which isn't tons) 
and decided on this greeting card...
With a bit of scissors work, a ribbon of burlap and some mod podging 
(using homemade of course!) - I'm thinking I'm happy with it.
 Oh - and the plastic coffee can lid?  
Switched to the bottom it makes a great coaster to prevent 
a rusty ring on whatever surface the can is sitting on.





3 comments:

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

A coffee can never looked so good! Great job...

I have a recipe for salsa with cilantro! I think it may be used more in spanish or mexican recipes than Italian? Just a thought. Not completely sure!

Victorian Garden Gourmet said...

Hi Joyce,

Love your up-cycled coffee can. Cilantro is used a lot in Mexican and Thai dishes. I add it to fresh salsa and chili. It had a very distinct, strong flavor - do use it with a light hand. When it goes to seed, the seed pods are another spice called coriander. It has an entirely different flavor. I use it crushed as part of an all-purpose seasoning for meat and veggies. Once you cilantro has gone to seed, it is pretty much done. However it is relatively easy to grow from seed. Bon appetite!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Your coffee can project turned out just beautiful! It is a bummer so many coffee cans are now made of plastic instead of metal.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...