A patched together lifestyle of thrift and charm...

Aug 22, 2015

Throwing a Party With A Busy Schedule...

I decided to throw a Girl's Day Out Party
at our nearby summer cottage.   
As usual - I had precious little time to plan and create. 
So I resorted to my 'panic' method. 
 
First - I pray for ideas and a bit of creativity. 
Second - decide on a simple menu and ask others to bring something. 
Third - plan a simple décor. 
Fourth - think of an activity or 2. 
Fifth - be OK with what doesn't get done!
 
For this party's decor- I was thinking 'feminine'
 and 'What do I already have on hand?'   
I chose lace tablecloths, flowers from my garden and aqua mason jars. 
I also wanted something to serve as a canopy to say 'party'. 
 
I ripped an old white tablecloth into strips and tied them together
to create a long ribbon and then tied on shorter pieces 
here and there for a cascading effect.  
I may have spent about an hour on this project the night before. 
 

As I was hanging the bunting the next morning -
my neighbor  thought it looked like toilet paper.  (smile) 
 
I arranged bouquets onsite from a bucket of flowers from my garden at home - also snipped the night before. 
I figured whatever I didn't get done in décor before everyone got there -
we'd work at together once they did. 
(A great way to take pressure off!)
 
 
 
Bouquets were scattered on various lace-covered tables...
 
 
...and I called the 'decor' done! 
 (Amazingly - I got done before any guests arrived!)
 

So what was my simple menu?  
Chicken Salad (with grapes) on Croissants
Strawberry and Walnut Lettuce Salad with Celery Seed Dressing
Fresh Fruit Platter
Candy
 
I asked everyone else to bring (if their schedule allowed)
either a snack, appetizer or dessert.

Activity?   After lunch some went hiking and some went thrift shopping. 
We connected again at the cottage for a bit of chatting before we departed.
 
Worked out great!  Thank you Lord for an awesome day with friends!

Linking to the Let's Talk Vintage party

2 comments:

Betsy said...

This looks like a beautiful ladies day. I think the simple things are the best and you flower arrangements were gorgeous. I would have never thought of the bunting, but it works beautifully. I had to smile at your neighbors comment. :-). I wish I lived close enough to have been invited. I'm sure the entire day was lovely.
Blessings,
Betsy

must love junk said...

Oh, that sounds like such a fun, wonderful day with friends! And everything looks gorgeous!
Susan

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...